- Services & Rates
- Asbestos Procedures
- Email the Roanoke Valley Resource Authority's Director of Operations Technical Services Jeremy Garrett, or call 540-384-6073 to determine acceptability of material(s); determine the appropriate delivery site (i.e. transfer station or landfill); ensure proper paperwork, if any, is in order; and to schedule a delivery appointment, if needed. Any and all loads containing asbestos or special waste and failing to follow this procedure will not be accepted by the Roanoke Valley Resource Authority (RVRA).
- Note: A minimum twenty-four-hour advance notice must be given for appointments and some materials may require longer lead times to determine acceptability.
- Direct deliveries of Asbestos and Special Waste to the Smith Gap Regional Landfill will be scheduled Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. If there is inclement weather the day of or overnight, call 540-384-6073 prior to shipping to ensure that you will be able to access the landfill.
- Tinker Creek Transfer Station located at:
1020 Hollins Road NE
Roanoke, VA 24012
On the date of the scheduled delivery, all vehicles must first weigh-in within 30 minutes of the scheduled appointment and present all required paperwork, including a completed asbestos waste shipment record, if applicable. Drivers will be provided with a copy of the completed weigh ticket which must be presented upon delivery at the Smith Gap Regional Landfill along with all other applicable paperwork.
Directions to Tinker Creek Transfer Station
- 1020 Hollins Road NE
Roanoke, VA 24012
Take Exit 4E (east) from 1-581. At the third traffic light (Exxon Station on right), turn right onto Hollins Road. Go approximately one block and the entrance to the Tinker Creek Transfer Station will be on the right.
Smith Gap Regional Landfill, located at:
8484 Bradshaw Road
Salem, VA 24153
After weighing-in, deliveries must arrive at the within one-hour of leaving the transfer station. All deliveries must be made via the following non-optional route to Smith Gap Regional Landfill (South on 1-81)
- South on I-81
- Take Ironto Exit 128
- Turn right at the stop sign onto Route 603, North Fork Road
- Go approximately 0.10 mile
- Take next right on Reese Mountain Road
- Go approximately 1/2 mile, just past bridge over North Fork River
- Take next left turn on to Smith Gap Spur Road for approx. 5 miles
- OBEY POSTED SPEED LIMIT OF 25 MPH
- Stop at shop/office area, staff will direct to working face
Note: Any vehicles found deviating from this path will be denied future access to the landfill.
- Upon arriving at the landfill, all vehicles must first stop at the landfill maintenance area for review and approval of proper paperwork and to receive further instructions on disposal.
- Follow all instructions provided.
- Note: The maximum speed limit is 20 miles per hour while on RVRA's property.
- Upon completing delivery of the material(s), return to the Tinker Creek Transfer Station via the Non-Optional route to 1-81 for weighing-out and completion of the transaction.
- Note: RVRA accepts check, cash or credit card at the scales unless you have an account established.
RVRA reserves the right to refuse acceptance of any material at any time at its sole discretion.